HEALTHY TRAIN IS BACK!!!! WHO’S IN?!?!!??!
What does that mean?
Get your “before photos” ready betties! 🙂 IT’S CONTEST TIME!
Wait, what’s the healthy train?
It’s something I started back in January, 2008 for personal accountability with my health.
You see, at that point in my life, I’d gained 50 pounds since getting married and was just plain miserable. I knew it was time for drastic measures. So, I started sharing my weight loss journey online.
I asked people to join me and it was glorious 🙂
Well… by the third installment of the healthy train, I asked that our readers to take it a step further… I asked them to send in their “before photos” and six months later I asked them to send in their “after photos”. The person who’d lost the largest percentage of weight won.
With your encouragement, after three years of being on the healthy train… I’ve lost more than 20% of my total body weight.
What exactly do I need to do to compete?
Send in your photos!
- photos of your front, side and back.
- a photo of your starting weight on your scale (yes, I know this is a new addition to the contest, and it’s an incredibly sensitive thing to send… but I need a way to keep everyone honest. I PROMISE you I don’t care how much you weigh, I’ll love you regardless. I also promise to never show ANYONE… not even when the healthy train concludes).
- Your goal weight. I’m asking for that simply because sometimes telling someone else what your goals are is an incredible motivator and it will keep you accountable.
Send those to me before next Friday. (for 100% clarification… I’ll need them before 11:59 on January 13th) I PROMISE not to post it! In the end, only those who send in your “after” photos will be shown. 😀 Send all photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
DO NOT WORRY… JUDGMENT FREE ZONE!!!! PLEASE know that I’m not a judgmental person in THE LEAST. I think you’re all beautiful and love you regardless! We all have to start somewhere, right?! I’ve showed you all my before photos, photos of me as a sweaty mess, hair lookin’ all crazy, etc… so, please know that I will NOT judge you! 😀 So, swallow your pride and send it over! 😀
BEFORE PHOTO TIPS
- wear something that is easily comparable to another outfit for your “after” photo. For example… I wear a black shirt and blue jeans… that way, as I lost weight… I could just wear smaller jeans and a smaller black shirt so that it was easy to compare.
- DO NOT wear super loose fitting clothes. I know it sucks now to see yourself that way but trust me… you’ll thank me later!
- stand somewhere that has a clean background… a white wall works perfectly. Standing in front of clutter makes it difficult for you to see your outline.
- if space allows, take the photo with your camera more zoomed in rather than zoomed out. also, try to place the camera level with your belly button. (Mike takes mine from about 10 feet away with a 50mm lens on a 5D mkII)
If you don’t want to compete… but still want to be on the healthy train… PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JOIN US… The MORE THE MERRIER!!!!!!
When does this contest start?
IMMEDIATELY!!! Start making healthy choices RIGHT NOW! Lunch plans to go to Cheesecake Factory are going to have to be canceled. It’s a NEW YEAR!
Weigh yourself first thing tomorrow morning… that’s your official “start weight”
Unfortunately only the weight you lose during the current healthy train time period (Jan 7 – July 1) will be counted towards your percentage lost. This also goes for people who’ve already lost weight 🙂
When does this contest end?
July 1st (25 weeks… about 6 months) 😀 Progress pic
What is the prize?
An “after” photo session taken by yours truly…. in Indianapolis… within 4 months of the finale date. 😀 If you don’t want a photo session or aren’t local… oh well… jump on anyway! 🙂 Doesn’t matter… JOIN JOIN JOIN!
Oh, and if you were in the last healthy train… you’re more than welcome to join up again! We’d love to have you 🙂 Unfortunately, to keep things fair, only the weight you lose during the current healthy train time period will be counted towards your percentage lost. This also goes for people who’ve already lost weight 🙂
Where and when do I weigh in?
We’ll weigh in the first Friday of every month. You’ll not report how many lbs you’ve lost but instead your percentage lost. Total loss just isn’t fair… As some people only have 15 pounds to lose… while others have 100.
Once I get all of the competitors info… I’ll be setting up a google doc where people can enter their percentages lost in an Excel style format.
FIRST WEIGH IN: February 4th.
The following weigh ins will be March 4, April 1, May 6, June 3, and finally July 1.
Uh-oh, I can’t compete right now… can I hop on the next one?
Bittersweetly… This may be the final installment. (is bittersweetly even a word?!)
So, why may this be last one? Well… for a few reasons.
- I have about 20 more lbs to lose to reach my final goal. Hopefully I’ll be able to knock that out this round. 😀
- Maintaining the healthy train is incredibly time consuming. There are changes I need to make that give me more time to spend with my husband… this is, unfortunately, one of them.
- I’m turning 30 in June… seems like the perfect finale date!
- It’s a lot of responsibility and pressure… and I take that very seriously. Sometimes when I’d be too busy to blog about it this last time, I felt some serious guilt. I knew I was letting a lot of people down. Over the last couple of years irrational guilt has become something that I struggle with. (I’ll talk more about that in a future healthy train blog entry)
- Last healthy train, we received 144 “before photos.” I was BLOWN AWAY! How many “after photos” did we get? ELEVEN! If you’re doing the math… that’s less than 8%. While I was SO proud of those 11, I was also incredibly disappointed in the success rate. Bottom line, it’s a lot of time and work to keep track of people who aren’t following through. Not tr
ying to be a jerk… just letting you know how I feel.
Now, all of this may change by the end of the summer… We’ll see. But for now just know that this could be the last one.
Anything else I need to know?
- I canNOT stress this enough… MEASURE YOURSELF!!!!! When the pounds aren’t coming off… sometimes seeing the inches fly away are FABULOUS for the motivation. I measure my waist, arms, thighs, bust and hips. Mike measures his waist, chest, arms, thighs and neck.
- If you’re a twitterer… And you’re on the healthy train… and you happen to twitter ABOUT the healthy train.. be sure to tag it with #healthytrain K? k. If you’re interested, here’s my twitter feed.
- I started a “bobbi’s healthy train” group on Facebook… ANYONE can join… not just the people with the before pics. My trainer is also a member… so if you have fitness questions, ask ’em there! It’s already been a great place… as it’s SO much easier to do this in a group than by yourself. We’d love to have you there… 😀 Though, to be perfectly fair… I’m not a super active contributor. However, many of our members are fantastic at giving good advice, feedback and encouragement.
Your support and encouragement means more to me than I could ever express… and I can’t thank you all enough.
I’m pumped up… hope you are too!
LET’S DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome Bobbi! I’ve seen these before on your blog, and I’m totally joining in this time! I have 30 more pounds to lose before I am to my goal weight, so I’m thinking I can do that in the 6 months! Be on the lookout for my photo 😉
hmmmm I guess being pregnant and due in May throws a kink in the healthy train. 🙁
I’m scared, but I’m in!!! Let’s do this! Choo-Choo!
i’m in. lets do this! first half marathon, here i come!
OMG IM SO IN ……. Cant wait, I do NOT wanna miss this!!
Oh yeah!! I was so bummed that I missed the last train. I have my ticket and am now ready to ride. Going to pour the White Russian tonight and take those before pics (GULP). I know we are all going to rock this!!!
I’m in like Flynn!
Already started. Glad to have a little extra incentive. 🙂 Even ALREADY took photos, weight & measurements. However for you I’ll do all that again TODAY.
Oh man, I’m scared silly! But I’m gonna do it! I’ve been trying to lose some serious baby weight since my youngest was born over nine months ago but with a husband who (thankfully) always tells me I look great I definitely lack the accountability factor I need to stay on track! Bobbi, if I fail to submit an after photo you have my permission to publicly humiliate me on your blog! 🙂
I signed up last time, but it was right after all my cancer treatments ended and I don’t think I was emotionally ready to take on something else. No excuses – I should have made it a priority, but I was for sure one of those 144 people that didn’t make it to the end. Not this time!!! I’m in 110% this round because surviving isn’t enough! I want to live! = )
You know I’m in, Bobbi. I’ll just keep joining until I reach my goal 🙂 And this is the perfect time to do that!!
Gosh Bobbi – you look GREAT!!
I think I have started every Healthy train and never finished! I was always too ashamed to mention how I had fallen off! But I REAALLLLLLLLYYY want to stick with it this time! grr! I wonder How many times I have said that!! But I’m making some HUGE changes in my life (including a career change)that are leading me to a much happier and healthier lifestyle so I can finally be happy and feel like I deserve it!
Thanks for the constant motivation and with you saying this being the last installment really makes me not want to miss the opportunity to take advantage of the group effort and motivation!!
YES! I’m in. Picture soon. Thanks for doing another round!
AND I really want that Bobbie+Mike photo session!! 😀
OK, bobbie, i’ve been waiting for this. i’ll get my husband to help me with pictures tomorrow. thanks! alice
Huge fan of Bobbi+Mike and the healthy train. I think I’ll try my hand this time around since I’ve already lost 12 lbs this holiday season. Good luck to everyone!
Ohhhh I better do this because I had put off a year. Now I am ready and scared! You are truly inspired for weight loss and photographer!
Woohoo!!!! Or should I say choo-choo!!! You’re the best and the chem fam will definitely get on board! Thanks for all you do!
Bobbi, I have been secretly following you since, Mel and Adam have befriended you!
I am stoked about this contest… and the competitor in me is ready to RUMMMMBLE! 😉
Count me in!
I just had a baby in august and I am in a wedding in may! What great motivation this will be.
Your friend and competitor 😉
I’m in! I definitely was one of those that fell off and did not make it a priority! I am in this 100% because I am getting married this year!! I want to look FABULOUS! I am also jumping on a Biggest Loser contest at my work so I hope to have all the accountability that I need!! I am so excited! P.S. Bobbi, you look FANTASTIC!!!
I am so in this time, just gotta go buy a scale so I can do the scale shot ;o)
Info is sent! You ROCK!!
We (my husband and I) are taking our photos in the morning and sending everything over. We started our diet/workout plan last week, and we’re super excited to be a part of this. Accountability is everything, and we’re excited for the challenge!
Watching from afar (east coast of Canada) but wishing everyone good luck. I lost 22% in the last 8 months and continue to work to be healthy. Great respect for everyone embarking on a change.
I’m totally jumping on this train!!
I have weight to loose and this is the perfect way to hold me accountable!
Yay! I’m totally in! I’m going to be marathon training this year so it’d be neat to document my weight loss as well ^.^
I only have 18 pounds to lose to my goal weight, but hey, it’s something hehe
Hey Battle Buddy!!! I am SO grateful for your Healthy Train competition! I have been needing some type of motivation & this is it!! Thank you! This will be my first Healthy Train. I’ll have my husband take some pictures of me tomorrow & I’ll send them to you. It has been almost 11 years since I’ve seen you & it would be great to win this thing and come see you so you can take my family’s photo! So proud of who you have become!!
You rock. You guys are one of my gazillion accountabilities. I’m getting married July 30th and want to see the bride I sooo badly want to be.
Im totally in…2011 is my year i know it 🙂 Ive already started making small changes to my life so i hope i can do well.
Ill sort out my before photos an send them over asap.
So happy your doing this again Bobbi…its gonna b awesome!
whoa whoa whoa.. hold the phone, I just noticed i accidentally added an “e” to Bobbi! eek! Don’t eliminate me! 😉
Bobbi, you look incredible! Seriously, AMAZING!
I want to participate for accountability purposes, but not contest purposes (as in no photo submission if that’s ok).
I love this! On friday I am photographing 50 fellow teachers on my school campus who are competing for a Biggest Loser contest our whole district is having. I am totally going to use these photo tips for the photos of my staff. Love!
P.S. I am so excited to see you guys speak at WPPI. Woo hoo! I love you guys!
Hi there! I really want to get in on this. I have quite a bit of weight to lose after having a baby last year and then having a totally INSANE year afterwards that has allowed me no time for myself. It may mean getting up very early to work out.
I am going to work on my “before” pictures and try to get everything in! Winning photos by you guys is a huge motivator for me! 🙂
I am late to the comment party, but I am so back in! I have 24 pounds left to go and I am determined to get my focus back and get it off!!!My biggest challenge will be sticking to it while in Vegas for WPPI! Ok, off to take the before photos tonight…
bobbi – you look so good i think you sizzle! 🙂 i am finally on board the healthy train this time around. i can’t wait. i turn 30 in june as well and i hope to look as fantastic as you at the end of this journey.
I just sent my stuff in! I HAVE to get these pounds off and my eating back in control!
Where did Mike focus for that picture. All my photos look like I am looking down. I want REALLY good before and after shots. Suggestions?
Mike’s camera is focused on my face. He’s standing on his knees… maybe that’ll help 🙂
[…] Talk about a dream. come. true. When I heard that she was doing her last and final installment of Healthy Train I knew I had to do it. So for the next six months I will be busting my butt to be the winner If […]
[…] I am feeling pumped up right now. What is this healthy train I titled my post after? It’s something that Bobbi+Mike started and I admit I’ve thought considered joining before, specifically the last one, right after I […]
I messaged via Facebook.. It was about google dr. not working and if you can reuse my picture from last time.. Nothing has changed if anything, I have gained a few more lbs… My pictures are not loading onto my computer. I live in Missouri so wouldn’t get the “PRIZE” anyways… is this ok? and can you use the one I sent in last time,, or will that be a problem? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[…] first weigh in for Healthy Train is Feb 4. That is only 3 weeks away. I really want to have SOMETHING significant […]
Oh darn! I missed the deadline again! But this time I’ll do it on my own and not sit around and just admire everyone else. Thank you for the inspiration all the way from Sweden 🙂
you look great bobbi! we are so proud of you!
is it too late to join? i have started on my own and have lost 12.5 lbs. already!!
unfortunately, it is 🙁 I’m so sorry… However, high fives on your 12.5 lbs lost already!!!!!
[…] unoriginal. Yet in it’s own way, completely awesome. I wrote about Bobbi+Mike’s Healthy Train and I admit I kind of wanted to start my own. But per the first sentence, I felt stupid […]
[…] looking really good and that he can see a difference. I’m down 5 lbs since I started the Healthy Train and it feels wonderful to hear him say he thinks I’m looking better already! Share and […]
[…] doesn’t mean I am quitting my goal to lose the weight. I am still participating in Healthy Train, and I am still striving to make better choices. I am just not going to commit a whole day of […]